Thursday, October 25, 2012

Teaching history is this Quality Leader’s goal

Hey y’all, my name is Danen Thornley.  I was born and raised in Riverton, Wyoming and I LOVE my hometown.  I live on a farm/ranch with my dad, mom, and sister just outside of Riverton where I have horses and pasture Texas Longhorns. Guess you could say I was born a cowgirl because I have many outdoor chores such as riding my horses, irrigating, picking up hay, and feeding all the animals. Even though I have lived in Riverton, I come from a very large Italian family. We love to get together, play games, eat, celebrate, and did I mention eat?

I have a dream of becoming a history teacher.  During my high school years I took many dual credit courses and completed many online classes through Central Wyoming College to further my education.  Sports were a huge part of my life in high school.  I played basketball, volleyball, and ran track.  Tragically, I had to have two reconstructive knee surgeries my junior and senior year, which left me unable compete in sports anymore.  This made me more bound and determined to reach a higher education to become a teacher.

Central Wyoming College was my first pick because of the location; this meant that I could have the best of both worlds (life on the farm and still a great educational opportunity).  This spring I interviewed for the Quality Leader Program and learned that I was chosen to participate in the program.  I have found that it is worth it because I have acquired leadership skills and met many people here at Central.  Also the great thing about Central Wyoming College is it is very small (in a good way). You have the opportunity to meet more people to help you study, learn new knowledge, and even make new friends.

I’m majoring in Secondary Education and Western American Studies.  Through my involvement in the Anthropology Program, I have met some awesome people and have been able to go out in the field and do some excavations.  This is exciting and I encourage anyone going into Archeology or Anthropology to get in touch with Todd Guenther.  He will lead you to great places!

Since, I live at home with my parents, I try to take advantage of the home cooked meals and FREE living, yey! Everyone should be able to enjoy that, I thank my parents so much for it. I look forward to the many other opportunities that arise here at Central Wyoming College because college is support to be a learning and educational experience right? I wish everyone good luck this year in their studies and I hope everyone takes every opportunity that arises at Central.

Danen Thornley
Central Wyoming College Quality Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment