Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine’s Day

Every second week of the second month, people all over the world celebrate a “couples holiday” known as Valentine’s Day. On this day, love is in the air. Roses are bought, chocolates are consumed, gifts are exchanged and reservations are made so that people can show their significant others just how much they mean to one another, and then we have the real world. The real world consists of people who spend February 14th alone with their 30 cats and Wheel of Fortune. For most of us we will consume the chocolates and ogle at those who have found someone with whom they can share this “holiday” with, but inevitably we will go home, alone, and cry ourselves to sleep thinking, “if only I had someone.” Bologna! Marriage rates are down and divorce rates are up so the fact that we are setting aside an entire day for couples seems a bit useless if you ask me. Being single is the key.

Yes, I know this sounds like a single woman hating on all those couples out there because I am unhappy with my own solitude but the truth is, I just don’t think that money should be wasted on something so superficial as Valentine’s Day. If I were to receive a box of chocolates, I wouldn’t have anything to do with them because I don’t like chocolate. If I were to receive a teddy bear, I wouldn’t have anything to do with it because I am an adult and if I were to receive flowers, they would die because I am not a botanist.

The execution of love declarations have severely diminished in recent years, mostly because we have seen it all before. I miss the good old days of love where Richard Gere chases after Julia Roberts fulfilling her childhood fantasy of being a rescued princess (Pretty Woman). Or the good times where Jake Ryan comes to your house in celebration of your 16th birthday when everyone else forgot, then you two share your first kiss over the flaming candles on your cake (Sixteen Candles). That is true love! But alas and alack we have come to the point in time where cynics such as I believe that no declaration of love is original or sincere anymore which makes days like the 14th of February a waste of time, emotion and money. Be single, be free and if you must be sad but don’t give into the social pressures of being with someone tomorrow, because Valentine’s Day is a sham supported by hopeless romantics and love struck fools who don’t know any better. In reality, the only people happy on Valentine’s Day are florists, Swiss chocolatiers and the Hallmark company. February 14th, just another day at CWC.

Cassie Paulsen
Quality Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment