Tuesday, April 17, 2012

An opportunity to paint a mural

Opportunities open themselves up at CWC. As an art major I am always searching for ways to challenge myself. When John Gabrielson asked me to paint a mural outside of his house I was stoked! I have painted one mural in the past that was 6 by 7 feet. This time I am able to paint a mural that will be about 10 feet by 9 feet. He told me that he would like something along the lines of sunflowers and country scenes. As a family friend and professor at CWC I want to do the best job I can for him. It excites me to be involved in a project like this where I can let my art work shine. It is also a great opportunity for me because I am going down to the University of Northern Colorado to finish out my degree in Art and English Education

As the excitement of being an artist runs through me I get anxious to start painting, but before that happens I have to plan everything out. First, I sat down and drew different sketches for John to pick out. After that we have to figure out the dimensions in order for them to be correct on the mural. My canvas is going to be ply wood. Once John and I figure out the size for the canvas he will measure it out on plywood and build a frame for it. After that comes the fun part! I will primer the wood a few times in order to create a smooth surface to paint and and reassure that it lasts over the years. Then we will project my drawing onto the real thing to ensure accuracy. Painting murals is extremely difficult to freehand so this is essential in making everything proportional in the painting. This is when my artistic abilities can come to work and I can paint a beautiful work of art! I simply cannot wait to start this project and stand back and look at it when it is all finished! Plus the painting will be facing a road for all to see!

Nicole Cooper
Quality Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment