Thursday, April 19, 2012

Busy Week

I am a theatre/equine major and this week is a big week for both programs. Earlier this week The CWC Equine Center hosted a representative from the Certified Horsemanship Association (CHA) to put on a Certification Clinic along with members of the CWC Equine Staff. Six of the CWC Equine students, including myself, participated and became certified horseback riding instructors. We were all a part of the Teaching Riding class which prepared us for the clinic. During each class period we taught mock lessons to each other. We were to teach the material in a fun creative way while upholding CHA standards. The class was great fun as we impursonated  a variety of different ages from eight to senior citizens. Everyone taught around thirteen lessons so we were very well prepared for the Certification Clinic. During the clinic each of us taught three lessons in front of the CHA representatives. We were graded on a scale of 1-10 on safety, horsemanship, teaching skills, group control and professionalism. One of my lessons was a trail ride and since we couldn’t actually all go on a real trail ride I made a pretend one in the arena.

To make my trial ride fun I decided to give it a pirate theme. On the trail ride we were searching for buried treasure, we talked like pirates and everyone had a great time. I bought some candy and at the end each of the riders got a piece. My theatre background really came in handy allowing me to utilize theatre skills to create a fun environment. CHA has four levels you can certify at. Level One being beginner and Level Four being master instructor. You must ride one level above the level you are teaching. I certified at Level Two for both English and Western Riding. My certification tells prospective students that I am a knowledgeable and competent instructor. I am excited to use what I have learned in my summer job as a horseback riding counselor at Camp Cheley!

The CWC Theatre Showcase is this weekend and I am really looking forward to it. The last couple of nights we have had our dress rehearsals and it’s shaping up to be a good show. Everyone has worked hard on our short plays and we finally get to show them off. If you are looking for some free entertainment this weekend come to the Dance Studio in the Arts Center at 7:30 Friday, April 20 and Saturday, April 21 and at 2:30 Sunday, April 22.
By Amanda Hessler
CWC Quality Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment