Monday, April 16, 2012

Advanced Reporting class demanding but fun

After finally graduating from news writing, I have moved up to advanced reporting.

It’s not that I never liked news writing, it’s more that there were so many rules to remember… Write out these numbers, but just write the number for these, oh, but combine these numbers with written out AND just the number, use this word, not that word. It’s hard to keep them all straight. However, I finally got them down and was encouraged to sign up for advanced reporting.

I was really nervous to take the class at first, because I thought, “Well, if it’s anything like news writing, it’s going to be a long semester.” There are so many people in this class that know what they are doing, and they produce excellent work. I feel like it’s hard to do the same quality of work when they have been here for so long, but it is my first year.

Every Monday is our “news meeting” where we bring in ideas about what news we want to have go over the air. After that week’s producer approves what you want to write about, during the week we write up our news stories and interview our people, then it goes over the air at noon on Friday. Then it starts all over again the next week!

Every week we get a new producer and a new talent. We all take turns doing each one at least once. It’s nice because we get to experience the stress and pressure of being a producer, and the quick thinking and confidence of a talent.

While the class is demanding, I have found that it is easier if you get things done quickly and keep all your information organized. This is not just important in the classroom, but in everything else that I do.

Jonnie Crossland
Quality Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment