Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Meet Christina

Hello Readers! I’m Christina Albertini and I am the Vice President of the Quality Leaders as well as the Student Representative for the Equine Club, a residential assistant for campus housing and I also work in the tutor lab in CWC’s Student Success Center. If you continue reading you will find out a little bit of each of the previous activities I mentioned!! Quality Leaders is a prestigious scholarship given to students that interview for the scholarship and show top notch qualities such as honor, honesty, creativity, abilities to lead as well as follow and many more traits! Grades are also important in order to be a quality leader as it shows a student’s ability to be going to school fulltime and help the school and community in projects. A project that many students recently took part in was promoting the new Health and Science Building that had to be passed by vote on November 2, 2010. Ways in promoting the new building such as hanging door signs, putting up road signs, performing skits and by waving signs and supporting CWC roadside on Election Day.
A recent activity that the Equine Club put on was a fun day with activities for anyone! There were many activities for horseback riders and for individuals that don’t own or have never ridden a horse before! Some games that were played are the magazine race, cowhorse barrels, stick horse barrels and the egg and spoon race! More normal fun day activities that were participated in are barrels, poles and showmanship. The turnout for the fun day was fantastic. All the prizes were awarded to the winners and lunch was provided. One of the great things about the Equine Club is that anyone, horse related or not, can join and have fun. This is the third semester for me being in the Equine Club and I have to say that the members are all fun and full of fire!! In fact this year we voted on our sweaters to be John Deere Green and the print to be John Deere Yellow instead of the regular CWC orange, black and white. The Equine Club is always welcome to having new members and to people who may only have an interest in horses! Feel free to come to the meetings on every other Monday at the Equine Center! The next meeting will be the first Monday back from Thanksgiving break.
To me, being a residential assistant (R.A.) on campus is a really neat job. By being a R.A. I get to meet almost all of the students that live on campus at least once in a semester. I love meeting people and making new friends so this job is really good for me to be able to do that. I recommend any students that plan on going to school here next fall should apply for the residential assistant job. It is also good for students that might not have the money to drive to school every day to have this job because it allows the R.A. to have free room and board. That’s right! I get to stay in housing for free! And get my meals paid for too!! However, being an R.A. does mean that there is late night working hours and all day shifts on the weekend as well so I suppose you could consider these working shifts as your food and housing. There are many different activities that go on in housing on campus! Early in the fall semester there is some beach volleyball that goes on and there are also karaoke contests that go on as well as pumpkin carving and barbeques! The housing on campus has normal dorms where individuals have roommates (Residence Hall), dorms where an individual has his/her own room but shares a bathroom with two other residents (Mote Hall), and then there are the apartments (East and West Apartments). The apartments have from one to four residents in each apartment and just this fall been supplied with new furniture!! There is no co-ed housing on campus unless it’s a married couple or family.
I was hired by CWC to tutor students in all math courses and Physics. Being a math tutor really helps me with my basic math skills and allows me to develop my math skills. The Student Success Center allows me to work on my homework, have free tutoring by tutors with experience in the class that I may need help in and it’s a great place to meet new people. The Student Success Center has free tutoring for all students taking classes from CWC and I think that even the silliest questions should be answered; all students should take advantage of the free tutoring. There is also an open computer lab attached to the tutor lab that is also free for all CWC students to use. The tutor lab even has free food on occasion and always has free coffee. There is a fridge for students to put their lunches while they are in class and even a microwave!! The staff in the Student Success Center is all incredibly nice and easy to talk to! If you are reading this and plan on a tour or are already a student at CWC, just stop in and say hello! You are bound to make new friends!!
Now that I have told you probably more than you wanted to know about CWC I would like to share with you more about myself. I am currently studying to get my degree in Mathematics here at CWC and will graduate at the end of the Spring 2011 semester with my Associates of Math degree and my degree for my general education. I am very excited to graduate this coming spring and am also very nervous to face the real world. Next fall I plan on continuing my education in order to get a degree in Electrical Technologies but am unsure of where I will go and how long it will take. I suppose this is will be my next blog subject!! So keep checking in for my next entry!!
Thanks, readers, for your interest!!
Christina Albertini
Quality Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment