Friday, March 23, 2012

A little advice to help new students

When I was coming to United States, I was told that studying in US is fun. Now, after several semesters being here I agree however, I do not think midterms and finals are fun.   :) Last week before the Spring break it was very busy for me. Even during the spring break I wasn't completely enjoying my time off. I was working on "idea" for my English paper.

Classes get very difficult and busy if you take many credits. My suggestion, seize one academic routine and hang in there. In other words, if you are trying to graduate in two years, just take regularly sixteen credits and you are done. Don't make the same mistake as I did. I took 12 credits first couple semesters then 21-24 next two semester on top of working 20-30 hours a week - that's crazy!!!

Gratefully, teachers are flexible, can work with you on individual level. For example, I had a problem in my English class. I was blank for some time and didn't know what to write about. One appointment with my professor and everything is gone. Have an idea, know what my professor wants to hear from me etc.

One more unpredictable thing happened to me during the last month. I have been studying International Relations for almost two years, and here I am almost graduating and changed my major to Finance. Advice: Don't do that!!! Although, it's never late to learn something, but if you really know that you love what you are studying and it's something you do want to do then don't even look at statistics or what Bureau of Labor database says. I picked Finance because according to BLS, Finance is ranked one of the 5th growing positions in next 10 years and it's easier to find a job with a degree in finance rather than with bachelors in IR and probably I didn't want to see myself struggling to find a job after graduation, although I love IR.

 

I plan to transfer after graduation so I have been doing lots of research and visited a couple of schools. Doing research is good plus try to talk to as many people as possible. Mostly career advisors and people with experience in your field that always helps. Learn on other people's success or mistakes  :-)
--

Kind regards,

 

Fazliddin. Basitov
Quality Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment